SWISS CHICKEN CUTLETS
- 2 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 chicken cutlets, 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Chopped fresh parsley and fresh oregano sprigs for garnish
Best served over rice.
- Cut each cheese slice in half; place 1 half on top of each cutlet. Starting with a short end, tightly roll up cutlets, jelly-roll style. Tie securely with a string.
- On waxed paper, combine flour and pepper. Mix well. Add cutlets; toss gently to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt margarine over medium heat. Add cutlets; cook, turning frequently until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, wine and dried oregano to skillet. Increase heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place on a serving plate; remove string. Garnish with parsley and oregano sprigs.
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat broiler, heat a charcoal grill until coals form white ash, or preheat a gas grill to medium.
- To prepare sauce, in a small saucepan, combine ketchup, vinegar, horseradish, brown sugar, garlic and thyme. Mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pepper.
- Brush tops of chicken pieces lightly with sauce. Place chicken, sauce-side down, on foil-lined broiler pan or grill rack. Brush other sides lightly with sauce.
- Broil or grill 3 inches from heat, basting with remaining sauce and turning until no longer pink in the center, about 5-7 minutes per side. Let chicken stand for 5 minutes befor serving.
CHICKEN STIR FRY
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts,cut into strips
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (or 1½ teaspoons ground ginger)
- 1½ cups snow peas or green beans
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- In a shallow glass bowl, combine orange juice and cornstarch; mix well. Stir in chicken. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Drain chicken; discard juice mixture. In a small bowl, combine broth and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok or large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add vegetables; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth mixture.
- Place 1/2 cup of rice on each serving plate. Top with the chicken mixture, dividing evenly.
COQ AU VIN
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 2¼ pounds frying chicken, segmented
- 8 shallots, peeled
- 1/2 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 pound snow-capped mushrooms, sliced
- 3 parsley sprigs, chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups dark red wine
- Coat a nonstick skillet with the spray; slowly brown the chicken. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Sauté shallots, carrots, garlic and mushrooms in the skillet until lightly browned.
- Return the browned chicken to the skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- After browning the chicken as directed above, remove chicken and place in a 2-quart casserole.
- Sauté the shallots, carrots, garlic and mushrooms in the skillet until Lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake at 350° F for an hour or until chicken is tender.