PASTA AND RICE DISHES
Ed's Pasta Fazool
Back to the Main Menu
- 2 tablespoons low-calorie margarine
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the margarine. Add the onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add the rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes or until the rice is just becoming transparent.
- Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed after each addition.
- With the last addition of broth, stir in the saffron, white pepper and salt to taste. Continue cooking until all liquid is absorbed.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 quart skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Black pepper
- In the top of a double boiler over lightly boiling water, cook the macaroni in the milk until almost soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the butter, horseradish and salt.
- Slightly beat the eggs; add a small amount of hot milk from the pan to the eggs; then stir the remaining egg mixture into the macaroni.
- Cook until thickened. If desired, adjust the seasoning of the horseradish, pepper and salt.
- 1/2 pound fettucine
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook fettucine as directed on package; turn into a heated serving bowl.
- Cut butter into 4 pieces; add butter, cheese and pepper to hot fettucine and fold quickly to coat them.
- SERVE IMMMEDIATELY.
ED'S PASTA FAZOOL
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 14˝-ounce can chicken broth
- 14˝-ounce can Italian-style chopped tomatoes
- 15-ounce can white beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup small pasta, like shells or macaroni
- In large heavy saucepan, brown and crumble ground pork.
- Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 15-16 ounce container of part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook large lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking, preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, garlic and oregano. Mix well. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, carrot, ricotta and Parmesan. Mix well.
- Drain noodles in a colander. Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in bottom of prepared dish. Place 3 noodles on top of tomato sauce. Spread half of vegetable-cheese mixture over noodles. Spoon 1/2 cup of tomato sauce over mixture; place 3 noodles on top. Spread with remaining vegetable-cheese mixture; top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Top with remaining noodles and tomato sauce; sprinkle mozzarella over top. Bake until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for about 15 minutes; cut into squares.