Keep a combination of these salad greens on hand. Wash and break about 6 cups into bite-size pieces.
- Iceberg lettuce
- Bibb lettuce
- Leaf lettuce
- Boston lettuce
- Celery cabbage
- Spinach leaves
ROYAL FRUIT SALAD
- 1 cup Mandarin orange sections
- 1 cup grapefruit sections
- 1/4 pound seedless green grapes
- 1/4 pound seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 inch vanilla bean
- Salad Basics
- 2 kiwis, sliced
- Combine fruit in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine wine, zest and vanilla bean in a small saucepan and heat just to the boiling point.
- Pour over fruits; cover and cool to room temperature. Remove vanilla bean from fruit.
- Place a bed of Salad Basics on chilled plates. Using a slotted spoon, divide fruit equally among plates.
- Garnish with kiwi.
CHOICE FRUIT SALAD
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium Delicious apples
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 packet low-cal sweetener
- 10 strawberries
- Combine lemon juice and a small amount of water in a bowl.
- Peel and core apples. Slice directly into water. Peel and slice bananas into lemon water. Fold slightly to coat the mix and reast for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ½ cup water and gelatin into small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. When cool, stir in sweetener.
- Drain apple/banana mix. Wash and slice strawberries and stir into mix.
- Pour sweetened gelatin over top and fold gently to coat the mix. Chill.
CHERRY TOMATO AND MUSHROOM SALAD
- 3/4 pound small snow mushroom caps
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- 10 curly leafed lettuce leaves, cleaned
- Clean and wipe mushrooms with a damp towel. Place mushrooms in a bowl.
- Blend oil, wine, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour over the mushrooms. Cover and marinate at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, add the tomatoes to the mushroom mix; toss lightly to coat the tomatoes with the dressing.
- Chill 5 salad plates; place 2 lettuce leaves on each. Divide mushroom mix evenly among the plates.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cucumbers, very thinly cut
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes Equal™ low-calorie sweetner
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup radishes, very thinkly cut
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle first amount of salt over cucmbers. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Drain thoroughly. Place in a paper or kitchen towel; press to remove excess moisture.
- Combine the second amount of salt, sweetner and vinegar in a bowl. Pour over the carrots. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Drain the marinade from the carrots into a serving bowl to serve as a dressing.
- Place a lettuce leaf on each plate or salad platter. Heap the cucumbers in the middle; circle half of the platter with carrots the other half with radishes. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.